Friday 1 April 2011

Shoot with Sarah W

Last week I got the chance to shoot some photos of Sarah in the backstreets of Halifax, thanks fellow Halifax photographer Emma Carter.

Sarah 17

As an experiment I decided to only use ONE lens, and a prime lens at that. So I put my trusty Canon 50mm f1.8 Mk1 on the 50D and off we went.
First location was an alleyway leading to a carpark that I've used before when shooting Helen and Francesca. It provides shade from overhead light as well as shelter from the weather as well as some interesting "grungy" brick wall backgrounds.



Next we moved onto the sidestreets near the Townhall, looking for a good view of the near cinema/retail complex that is being built. We managed to find a nice shady spot and set up.

Sarah 20 (Mono)

Earlier on I had been using radio remotes to trigger my flash, but no I had switched to using the Canon IR control system, as this would let me use a higher than normal shutter speed and a faster aperture so I could throw the background out of focus.
I really enjoyed using the 50mm/1.8, getting some really nice shallow depth of filed effects, and using a fixed focal length lens does make you think differently about your composition and framing, even though it can sometimes be a little frustrating when you can't back up enough to frame a shot the way you want too. If you usually shoot with a zoom lens I highly recommend trying a fast prime for a change of pace.
Emma's photos from the shoot are here

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awesome pictures, your a great photographer Matt